Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 2004 16:21:08 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
Since I have two functions -- Public Health Nurse and LC -- one of my assignments includes doing puberty classes on request.  We have a curriculum that (formally) covers Gr. 5 to 8.  It is pretty inclusive in what it covers, but it doesn't talk about sex per se. The lower grades ALWAYS get information on basic growth and development, and then the things they can expect at puberty.  We cover height and weight expectations, getting bigger feet and times people finish growing (always a surprise to them).  FWIW, I always mention that breasts are there for feeding babies.  Since we absolutely don't have an evolution hang-up north of the border, I always compare that to other mammals like dogs, cats, etc (feeding offspring milk is a defining characteristic of mammals).

OTOH, the kids always ask about whatever comes into their heads.  As the visitor to the class, I get to answer in a manner that reflects some basic discretion, but doesn't back off too far.  The girls always want to know why they got stuck with periods AND breasts <g>.  The boys (who are infinitely less mature) want to know what would REALLY happen if a man got pregnant because there was this movie...

FWIW, we have few if any Gr 4 girls who are having periods, and some Gr. 7's and even Gr. 8's who aren't there yet either, though most have complete growth.  I don't ever recall seeing a Gr 8 boy who shaved (age 14), though many have at least started their puberty growth spurt, many have not.

Judith

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2