Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jan 2004 13:48:48 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
I am normally I silent observer on this list, but thought I'd try to jump in on this one.  Sharon, the description of this mom's woes sound like exactly what I was going through after with my daughter a year ago.  She wasn't just spitting up, but voluminous amounts almost like her whole stomach was emptying.  No green stools and she wasn't really gassy.  I knew it wasn't normal.  

I was (and am still) nursing an older child as well as my baby, so oversupply and overactive letdown were suspected.  I tried to nurse her on only one side and tried to cut my avid nursing toddler back, which made us all unhappy!  It did not solve the problem.  I suspected reflux since I had no known food allergies.  

I decided to go see a local LC and she had me cut out ALL dairy.  She didn't think it was reflux, but allergy related.  This helped a little, but we were still experiencing the problem.  I then went to see a natural health practitioner who did electo-dermal screening on her to see if she had any other food allergies.  (For those of you who are unfamiliar with this, it's a very accurate non-invasive way of doing allergy testing.) A whole host of things turned up, including wheat, corn, soy, peanuts, eggs, and of course dairy.  It was tough, but I cut it all out and the problem completely cleared up.  No more vomiting, or spitting up.  I've been taking digestive enzymes to aid the breakdown of any offending proteins.  I am also on a Standard Process Herb called "Albizia" that my naturopath said would help her deal with allergens.  Now, I'm able to have her allergic offenders on a rotaional basis.  

She'll be a year old in a couple of weeks and she's a happy healthy 24lb baby.  At this point, she's hardly touching solids, but you'd never guess it by looking at her!  Hope this helps.

Take care,
Hilary Frambes, LLLL
Hilliard, Ohio

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2