Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 11:33:06 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (34 lines)
I just wanted to mention for the benefit of everyone on Lactnet that there is a relatively new field of dentistry/orthodontics known as 'Functional Jaw Orthopedics', and also a specialty known as 'Chirodontics'.  Breastfeeding is recognized as being the norm for normal jaw/palate formation in this profession, and vice versa, they recognize that normal jaw/palate is necessary for breastfeeding.  

My mother is a dentist specializing in this area, so we often end up having interesting discussions about breastfeeding problems impacted by congential jaw abnormalities or jaw problems that can crop up as a result of the birth process, including dislocation of one of the condlyes of the TMJ during delivery...  She has mentioned to me that there might be signs of TMJ by looking at a baby's face straight on from the front to see if there is an asymmetry..... (it is probably easier to determine this in a person with dentition, as the midlines can be checked). 

There is a website for the AAFO (American Association of Functional Orthodontics) that may be of interest to note:  www.aafo.org

She also networks worldwide with colleagues in the same specialty, at conferences, etc., and has provided me with a list of  knowledgeable and experienced clinicians to consult with in regards to TMJ in the following locations:

Vienna, VA  
St. Paul, MN  
Utah
Wausheka, WI
Sydney, Australia 

If any of you would like contact info for any of the above, in the event that you would ever like consult with one of these dentists regarding TMJ in a breastfeeding baby, just let me know.

Leslie Ashton, RN, B.Sc. (Childbirth Educator, Doula)
Ottawa Canada

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2