Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 2003 19:34:30 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
Hi,
I have a pediatrician friend who has taken an interest in breastfeeding (great!!) and she has asked me to post about a patient, since I could not
give her an answer.
She has a mother with a one month old boy, normal weight at birth, healthy and thriving, exclusively breastfed. For the last two weeks he feeds
well on the first breast, unlatches when finished. Then apparently (I have not seen this dyad) he shows more hunger cues so mom offers him the
second breast. He then starts to get very upset and is not able to latch, gets fussier and fussier until he begins to cry. After about ten or fifteen
minutes of calming him down, he will latch onto the second breast and nurse a little bit more. This is independently of whether she begins with
her left or her right breast, it is the second breast he has problems with in any case.
I asked the ped if the mom has an adecuate supply, not overabundant or a hyperactive MER in case that was what was,making the
baby have problems at the begining of the second breast, although then he would also have that problem at the beginning of the first breast. The
ped said she thinks there is none of that.
I would think that since baby is gaining well and seems healthy, maybe the mom is not reading the cues correctly? Could the baby go without
that second breast, just nurse again on the first one if it seems that he needs more suckling?
Any ideas, wise ones?

Kika Baeza
Family physician
Madrid, Spain

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2