Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jan 2004 16:59:46 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
Hello,
Allow me to start out 2004 with a vent.  My latest greatest source of frustration is hearing my coworkers/nurses say  "this baby's parents held her all day and now she's spoiled"  (baby has been placed in the nursery over night so mom can sleep, probably at nurses suggestion-now baby is fussy in the nursery) So then the nurse picks the baby up and she immediately stops fussing-of course this is proof that the baby is "spoiled".   Nurses suggest to mom's they take baby to the nursery so she can sleep BUT they then complain because the baby is fussy.      Anyone else hear this/see this??
In the book by Dr Karp "The Happiest Baby on the Block"  his recommendations simulate the womb for those babies who are really having a hard time with life without it.  I always recommend parents provide skin-to-skin and put baby to the breast  first (can't be done with the baby in the nursery!!)  but if that isn't comforting the baby (sometimes it's doesn't) I show parents the 5 S's and that almost always works.  I wonder if showing the video that accompanies the book would be beneficial for nurses and parents to see?  I haven't seen the video myself....just read the book.  Seems there are unrealistic expectations on the part of many nurses and parents on how newborns should behave.   We do have "Baby's Second Night" handout at my workplace and I give that to parents alot.  Parents frequently say to me after reading it "this is exactly what is happening".  There are times though when being put to the breast just isn't quite enough if they are really fussy.  Also, in American culture things like the 5 S's are more socially acceptable to try than prolonged comforting of the baby at the breast-not my preference but is the preference of many parents.    If parents and nurses don't have some other "things" to try to comfort the baby it's inevitable that the baby will receive formula which might or might not work to comfort the baby but of course if given unnecessarily is risky.  
Any suggestions for how to educate the masses in the hospital?  Anyone show the video I mentioned or another like video to parents and nurses?   

Thanks, I feel better now venting to "someone" who understands. 
Sally Myer RN, BSN, ICCE, CLC
McCook NE

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2