Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 2003 10:01:46 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (41 lines)
Also sent directly to Dawn re: her request while moving...

In a message dated 11/4/2003 12:33:10 PM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

> Any ideas?  Mom is feeling desperate as each feed is taking
> about an hour.

In spite of babies being term and decent weights, they still were on the small side for avg. full-term babies, which may show they were somewhat affected by the more stressed twin pregnancy environment. This may be affecting BF, but will resolve. How does baby B's finger sucking compare with baby A's -- is it the same or different (weaker, disorganized, less sustained, etc.)?

What is getting to this MOT the most? Where does she need some "give" so she can continue working on BF with baby B yet maintain her sanity? Better to take a step or two backward and catch up later than give up totally because she becomes too desperate...

I would suggest:
1. Reassuring mom that issue will resolve. (It will if she hangs in. Have been through similar with many other MOT.)
2. Avoiding simultaneous breastfeeding for now. And keep trying different positions, including mother in side-lying.
3. Avoiding hour-long feedings -- what's the point? Consider BF with the baby having a problem as "practice" BF. Halt after about 10 minutes if baby isn't doing an effective job and feed alternatively. (IF it is one of his effective feeds, keep going!) I'd suggest mother have helper feed baby alternatively so she can keep pumping going and protect adequate production.
4. Increase time skin-to-skin kangarooing with baby B between feeds, but can do with both bbies at once. Kangarooing outside of feeding time with its "no pressure to perform" contact often provides the impetus for a baby to get with the program.
5. Wait for babies to wake for feedings vs. waking q 2.5-3 hours now that babies are gaining well, unless/until their urine and stool outputs or weights show they can't be trusted to wake on their own. Most babies BF much better when it is their idea! (If babies are really sleepy much of the time still, it sounds as if more is going on. Also, it sounds as if parents are providing conflicting info re: sleepy vs. info that they're often awake and wanting to suck. Confusing.)
6. Celebrate what is going right. Baby B has shown he can BF, does seem able to do so at some feedings, and will do so at all feedings again. Both babies are gaining.
7. Help mother with perspective. Every day is an eternity to her right now. She needs others to remind her of the bigger, long-term picture.

I work almost exclusively with MOT/MOM and I've BF twins myself. This mother or you are welcome to call my cell phone number: 859-240-6058 (on EST). Also, if this MOT has any time for the computer, she'll find a whole group of supportive MOT/MOM, many of whom had similar BF starts with one or more multiples, at: //groups.yahoo.com/ After subscribing with a user name and password, we're at APMultiples (one word).

Let me know if the above is or is not helpful and what might help tweak it. Some of the info in the post didn't seem to fit with other pieces of info, so I may be confused or misinterpreting.

Good luck with your move! (Yuk, I hate moving...)

Karen Kerkhoff Gromada, MSN, RN, IBCLC
author, Mothering Multiples: Breastfeeding and Caring for Twins or More

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2