Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 17:13:51 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
I am posting a follow-up report from the Grand Rounds at my hospital this week presented by Dr. William McLean, M.D., VP, Medical and Regulatory Affairs, Ross Products Division, Abbott Labs & Professor of Pediatrics, Ohio State University.  He began discussing the biochemistry of fatty acids in the body and spoke about why long chain FAs are important in babies.  He then presented the studies conducted by Ross & Mead Johnson on these FAs.  He pointed out the difference in the studies and how they were confusing and stated that the jury is still out on these FAs.  He also examined babies who had been given formulas with & without these FAs.  The results he presented showed that the babies who received formulas with a smaller amt of these FAs did better than either the babies who rec'd formula with none, or formula with a higher amount added.  He stated the the breastfed infant is the gold standard (before he knew who I was!).  He said that is what all health professionals should encourage---breastfeeding (although he didn't mention LCs to help...).  He did say much more research was needed and he encouraged all those in the audience to consider this.  He said these studies usually run about 3-5 million dollars, so there is the rub.   

I asked him afterwards if he thought the marketing of these formulas were interferring with increasing the breastfeeding rates, and of course he said no.  He said they monitor BF rates, and they have steadily gone up over the last few years in this country.  I commented that I thought it was very important that we, as pediatric medical professionals, be careful in the way this formula is presented to parents.  We should never indicate that this is interchangeable with breastfeeding.  We know it cannot be compared at all.  He commented (of course) that they are trying to improve infant feedings for those infants who do not get breast milk from their own mothers. 

There were a few more questions about some details about the studies, and even one pediatrician stated that he didn't trust any formula rep because he knows what their motive is and that he just encourages breastfeeding in his practice!!!  I almost gave a standing ovation!!  Basically, it wasn't as bad or as confrontational as I was afraid it might be.  I had all my colleagues in attendance with me and we all agreed it was as good as it could be, considering they had invited someone from Ross.    

He asked me after Grand Rounds to attend a Roundtable discussion with him and some physicians & pharmacists & a Ph.D. Nutritionist (all who knew I am an IBCLC).  We had a lively discussion.  I did not try to come across on the offense, but he understood where I was coming from .  He is a researcher and a lot he was talking about was a little over my head (fatty acid research, digestion & absorption, test animals, etc.)  I was glad I got the chance to be in on the discussion and sit with these other professionals so that they would be aware of my presence.

I did my best, Marsha.  I still would have liked you to be sitting next to me!  Thanks to all who offered great ideas and suggestions for me.  I used a lot of what you gave me.  It helped so much.  My next battle is to convince our P & T committee to allow banked donor milk as an optional feeding for our critically ill patients!!!  

Ginger Carney, RD, LDN, IBCLC
Clinical Nutriiton Mgr./Lactation Consultant
Le Bonheur Children's Medical Center
Memphis, TN  
[log in to unmask]

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2