Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jul 2003 11:58:14 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
I work for Harris Co (Houston, TX) WIC and our BF Peer Counselors are allowed to bring their babies to work until the baby is 6 months old. This works out pretty well it seems. This is lower level mom-to-mom counseling in the clinic. Help with latch-on or basic information, or breastfeeding encouragement during their sign up appointment. The thinking is they can model good mothering with their small babies. This is not a highly paid or skilled position. 

I agree that it does take a mind shift to go from a lower level of breastfeeding helping to switch to the professional standards and ethics expected of IBCLCs. I believe that we have to look at this from how the average mother sees us, not how the bf community sees us. When deciding what to do with one's children or baby, take a hard look at what your community thinks of breastfeeding help (both professional and lay) and act accordingly. Some communities highly value IBCLCs and some do not.

My friend frequently forwards posts from the pumping moms list and they have a much different view of how adequate or professional their breastfeeding helper was than what many of us on LACTNET would think.

About hospitals and overworked staff: I have heard a lot of women complaining that they got a 5 minute visit from the hospital IBCLC and she said everything was ok by just a quick look. But the problem isn't solved in the hospital and the women are mad & feel they got bad service. Hospitals need to be aware of their reputation when they allow or mandate bad service.  

Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC 

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2