Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 13:59:24 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (34 lines)
Michelle asked:

she informed me that she was leaving there to go to work for a drug company and that they now were only allowed to give out pens - no lunches, no coffee mugs, no golf outings etc. Has anyone heard about this?

I have.  I had a group of residents spend the morning with me individually a few months ago as part of their ob rotation and I always show them the Code of Marketing and Marsha Walker's review of violations, and one of them told me that they weren't allowed to take freebies, that they didn't get any
more free lunches or anything!  He said they were really cracking down.  I think it's coming with formula companies.  I think eventually, if we all keep raising the issue (and maybe if some investigative tv show would do a piece on it!) so that the public becomes aware of it, that the absolute
impropriety of the current situation will be clearly seen.  Maybe I'm a Pollyanna, but who'd have thought the drug companies, with all their money, would go down?!  It seems to me a logical progression, that this will progress to include formula companies.  We just have to do our part to get this
issue square into the public eye.  I could sure make an issue of the situation where I am, and after my recent incident with a local rep and doc, I've heard some horror stories from many of you.  It has taken some time for me to emotionally get back on my feet and back in this fight.  I have only
just started reading Lacnet again to try to get my heart back into it and I just can't help but be appalled and absolutely incensed at the prejudice and injustices lactation advocates everywhere must endure.  I am humbled that this great bunch of people find the heart to keep going and to continue
the fight, often under the most stressful of circumstances.  I remind myself, and my fellow Lactnuts as well, that we have come a long way in the last 20 years, heck in the last 5-10 years!  Some things I never thought I'd see when I was breastfeeding my kids, like 24 hr rooming-in (it was
absolutely against hospital policy to "let" moms keep their babies in their room all night, so I took mine home the same day!) and babies put to breast in the recovery room or immediately after birth, or moms telling me that all of their friends are breastfeeding their babies.  But, it's happening
and I believe it will continue to get better, though not fast enough!  Still, chances are, today my daughters would probably successfully breastfeed their babies even if their mom wasn't an LC, because they'd probably get the info, help and support they needed.  I think the future looks bright!
It's just the present that kinda stinks sometimes!

Marsha, who is glad to be back on the horse in cold Indiana!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Marsha Glass RN, BSN, IBCLC~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mothers have as powerful an influence over the welfare of future generations as all other earthly causes combined.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~John S. C. Abbot~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2