Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 15:13:47 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (13 lines)
Hi everyone!
I'm Amy Stallings RNC, BSN, IBCLC.  I work as a hospital based lactation consultant in middle Georgia.  This my first post and I want to tell everyone how much I've enjoyed reading all of your info.  I'm spending way too much time at my computer since I subscribed a week ago! 
Anyway, on the chemical and foreign substance issue... Thanks Carol, for sharing Dr.Berlin's wording.  There must have been something in the news recently about environmental contaminants in breastmilk.  I've had so many moms ask questions.  In BF class a few weeks ago one mom expressed concern.   I asked the parents-to-be what they might have been exposed to that a cow absolutely wouldn't have been exposed to.  Most of the parent's jaws dropped when they realized that formula is made from cow's milk!  The fact of the matter is that we really don't know what those cows are exposed to--in vaccines, medicines, or feed that they receive, or from the land that they graze-- that then makes its way into infant formula.  The image of baby's milk coming from a messy cow pasture seemed to make a big impact on these parents and seemed to calm fears about mom's exposure to environmental substances.  

In the land of teenagers wanting the computer back,
Amy 

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2