Sat, 20 Apr 2002 08:30:47 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
MIME-Version:
Reply-To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (10 lines)
Having read so many different comments about the April Pediatrics article, I wanted to say that I have been drawing lab and doing shots at the breast for over twenty years.  I first started when I worked at a free standing birthing center here, the parents had very strong opinions about what was ok and it was a compromise to increase comfort.  What I discovered was just what the research shows, calmer more relaxed babies who suck stronger maybe one in ten comes off and cries for a 10-20 seconds, but because they are relaxed they bleed easier and the whole thing is faster, and I have never seen any aversion to the breast from it, only support and comfort.  The only thing we haven't done is circ's while nursing, but immediately afterwards they can nurse.  Now, working in the hospital, I frequently show lab techs, they are amazed at the speed and the comfort, and we always draw repeat bili's, PKU's etc at the breast in our outpatient clinic.  It does not work to do this with bottlefeeding, as they do have more potential to choke( two times they sputtered when I tried, not the same control as with mom), so pacifiers sort of work- still not the same as the breast. .  I even had one mom go to breast for the first time when drawing a bili and she switched to nursing from bottlefeeding after that.  I think it is the way to go, Just my humble opinion.  
Libby Rosen, RN, IBCLC
Topeka, Kansas

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2