Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 09:24:33 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (13 lines)
I am currently taking an online course "Women in Contemporary Society". This week, the topic of breastfeeding was brought up (by myself) in a discussion regarding breast cancer and prevention ideas. The responses to breastfeeding from the class have left me unsure of how to respond. My gut response is to correct their apparent misconceptions but every way I write it sounds rough and like I'm "jumping" on them, which they sound sensitive too. It will also do nothing more than make them more uncomfortable and anti-breastfeeding. I have pasted a few of the statements below, and please understand I mean no disservice (quite the opposite) to La Leche League, these are simply other individual's perceptions.  
"I had difficulties breast feeding and went to LeLeache, they made me feel completely inadequate as a women, failing to be a competant mother. It ruined any potential of figuring out how to nurse my baby. I finally quit trying, gave cow's milk at 6 months and she turned out fine. I wouldn't recommend anyone try it."
I am not a strong support of breastfeeding or not breastfeeding. When I was pregnant with my second child I thought about breastfeeding so I went to a LaLeche Meeting. Well that was my first mistake, they made me feel that I had done my first born an injustice because I bottle feed her. Then while sitting in this meeting the children that were playing outside with my four year old came inside and lifted their mothers shirt so they could have a drink. That really was the last straw for me and I decided not to breastfeed ever. "
"When I was about 14 my friends sister would breastfeed in a manner I found repulsive. I think breastfeeding is the best thing for the baby but if you are not comfortable doing it then it is not so good. I did breatfeed my three children for three months. However, when in public I did this very discretley."
Any input from you all that are so wonderful at wording. Thank you in advance.
Sarah Tanner, CLE (working towards IBCLC)Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2