Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 10:26:04 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
Rachel Myr wrote:

"The token amounts of colostrum ingested if the baby is immediately pushed to the breast, are (in my opinion, based on my observations in practice) likely much less, and less enjoyably taken, than the copious amounts taken if baby and mother are left undisturbed until they have  regarded, caressed, snuggled with, smelled, tasted and gotten SO excited about each other that latch is just the natural conclusion of a unique and wonderful period of joyous mutual discovery."

Oh, how I agree with you Rachel. However, in my experience, I and the medical policies and procedures have not been the problem. My problem has been the mother. I hand her her precious baby and try to put the baby skin to skin and near the breast, the majority reaction that I get is yuck, eww, when does the baby get a bath?  Then even if I don't get that reaction and manage to get the baby near the breast the mom is very quickly getting anxious. She wants to change her position, have something to drink, get some pain medicine for her afterpains, call her relatives, chat with the hordes who are already in her room...etc. etc. etc. I find myself trying to "push the baby to breast" because I can often feel the mother's reluctance to take much time with this looming palpably in the room.
I find it difficult to understand and frustrating to see. As someone who had her babies whisked away fairly quickly to the almighty nursery, who was told to wash her nipples before a feed and was given bottles of D5 to give the baby after each feed (18 to 22 years ago) I find it hard to understand a mom who wouldn't take advantage of the opportunity that I am offering her.
Of course, every now and then I get a lovely mother who "gets it" and my faith in the wonders of bonding and breastfeeding are renewed!
I will keep plugging along but I would be grateful for any suggestions you all might have.

Karen Ianacone, RN, MA, CCE, CLC
CT

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2