Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 15:31:51 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
I was nomail for a few days due to the holidays and so am just reading the thread on cosleeping.  In fact, I had to search the archives to read what had been posted prior to my rejoining the list.  I have to add my "news" to this thread.  I posted last year about our state Perinatal organization
printing an article on SIDS that was damning of cosleeping and mentioned Babywise as a reference.  I wrote a letter to the editor, which I posted about here.  As a result, I am a member of the "Infant Sleep Location" workgroup that has been working for many months to come up with a flyer for our
state that addresses this issue for parents.  Something we could all live with.  Also on this committee was Dr. James McKenna and our antitheses (antithesises? ;-) ): someone from the state SIDS alliance group and a physician who fervently (and vehemently!) believes there is never ANY "excuse" for
an adult to put a baby in their bed.  I don't have to tell you, we had some lively meetings!  Well, the good news is we have just finished the brochure and I have no qualms about my name being on it!  I think it presents the information parents need about what conditions are not safe for babies to
sleep in whether in or out of mom and dad's bed, without passing judgement on the rightness or wrongness of cosleeping.  Some earlier versions very definitely had this flavor.  It is anticipated that groups across the country will want this brochure, as some have already expressed an interest,
including the national SIDS alliance, if I'm not mistaken!  The brochure is now gone to the graphics person and will be posted to a website when it is done, in a copier-ready version, sometime in the next couple of months.  I will post the website when the brochure is up.  Dr. McKenna and I were
happy with the final product and I feel that this is a victory for cosleeping (and breastfeeding) parents.  Instead of getting constant messages that this is wrong, the flyer will simply tell them what conditions make it dangerous, and breastfeeding is even mentioned in a good way!  I will let you
all know when it's up and I hope you will be pleased with it, also.

Marsha, in waaaaaaayyyy cold Indiana.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marsha Glass RN, BSN, IBCLC
Mothers have as powerful an influence over the welfare of future generations as all other earthly causes combined.
John S. C. Abbot
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2