Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 20:21:50 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (13 lines)
Having received a few interesting emails(mostly from LLLL) on this topic let me say that I doubt that anyone would deny that separation can be hard on both mothers and babies.  Whenever I am working with an employed new mother I do point out that she will probably have to use different strategies for maintaining her milk supply than she would have used as a stay-at-home-mom.  And there is inevitably the discussion about the emotional and psychological aspects of separation - most moms instinctively know that this will not be an easy process and are eager to do whatever they can to lessen the stress on both themselves and their babies.  Sometimes over time a mom will decide that she should stay home instead of returning to work at that time.  Other times, different decisions will be made.  The point is that we should truly respect the mothers ability and right to make those decisions, support her either way and reassure her that breastfeeding can continue to be an important part of the relationship she shares with her child.  What I think that some working moms do not appreciate fully is that if there is going to be work-related separation on a regular basis, then when they are with their babies they need to give them their full attention and not cause further separation within the home itself by the distraction of household activities.  For example, slings and other carriers allow these moms to accomplish necessary tasks and still maintain contact with their babies, even breastfeeding them at the same time.  Giving information and helping a mom to strategize without implying judgement is the key. If we do our jobs correctly, any guilt or misgivings the mother feels will be strictly self-generated and something that she will have to deal with in her own way.

Warmly,
Sharon Knorr, BSMT, ASCP, IBCLC
Newark, NY (near Rochester on Lake Ontario)
mailto:[log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2