Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 11:10:20 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
It's finished!  The brochure our state Perinatal organization is putting out on Safe sleeping conditions for babies is finished and up on the website.  I have posted before about this.  I was on the committee that wrote it, along with James McKenna.    My disclaimer is that this brochure is NOT
about bedsharing.  It is not in any way intended to encourage or discourage that.  There were two obvious camps represented at our meetings: those for a parents' right to make that decision -whether to or not to sleep with your baby- and those who felt it should be strongly denounced as too risky to
ever be safe.  This brochure is what we all agreed to, and I think, in today's society -here in the U.S. at least- this is as good as we can expect.  The brochure simply presents risk factors for baby's sleep conditions, wherever that may be.  I don't think the tone is condemnatory of bedsharing,
though some thought the draft I posted previously could appear that way.  I was adamant that the language present bedsharing in the light of "conditions" of bedsharing that are unsafe, not the act itself.  That was a battle, believe me and one that caused me some personal repercussions at work.
However, considering what other brochures put out by local health organizations have said on this topic, I think this is a huge improvement.  My standard of measure is, if I picked this brochure up, would I read it or pitch it because it was immediately apparent that the message was, "never sleep
with your baby"?!  My answer is, I'd read this one.  Hope you agree.  There is a color version and a black-and-white version suitable for copying.  There will also be a Spanish version posted when they finish translating it.

http://www.indianaperinatal.org/NewFiles/providers.htm

Click on the Safe Sleep brochure.

Marsha, who stayed up late last night watching an exciting ice skating competition!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marsha Glass RN, BSN, IBCLC
Mothers have as powerful an influence over the welfare of future generations as all other earthly causes combined.
John S. C. Abbot
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2