Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 16:36:54 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (13 lines)
I am searching for some information for a mother whose baby is in our peds ICU unit.  The baby hs been hospitalized numerous times for uncontrolled seizures of unknown origin. She is 10 months old. The mom has been exclusively breastfeeding and is totally committed. She is a huge producer and has had no problem keeping up with baby's demands. They have induced a coma twice during this hospitalization in hopes that they can control the seizures. Each time has been unsuccessful. The baby is on large doses of phenobarbital to help control the seizures. Parents feel the med is interfering with development of the baby. Baby breastfeeds beautifully! The doctors want to try a ketogenic diet (not sure of spelling). I understand that this involves precise measurements of fats etc. Mom has been told that it would preclude breastfeeding. This baby has developed a severe oral aversion to anything but the breast! Mom has asked me about "Drying up" and using the SNS at breast to feed the supplement.  I explained that we would probably have a problem with relactation. Can anyone shed any light on this type of diet? And does anyone have any suggestions? She has considered fingerfeeding because the baby will suck on the finger but if breastfeeding can be done she wants to be able to continue to do so.

Thanks,

Holly McSpadden IBCLC
[log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2