Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2001 08:07:28 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
I was wondering if anyone can shed light for me on this new case I heard about this morning.  Apparently a woman is taking her employer to court because of the room they provided for her to pump in.  The room supposedly faces windows so all of her fellow employees have access to seeing her while she is pumping.  At least this is the story I got off the radio.  It was a topic of local interest this morning and I was called on by some of my local peers to respond, and being the big mouth I am, I did!  The morning radio show was run by men and they were surprisingly supportive of breastfeeding and women in general.  They asked several questions about pumps, pumping in general, why we can't just wait until we get home, and why we can't often times do it in front of others.  I asked them two questions that seemed to put it into a better light for them (please remember this was an already over the top Howard Stern kind of radio show) I asked them 1) can they go to the bathroom with on lookers?  and 2) would they like to have their meals served to them in the bathroom?  a lightbulb moment for these men.  They all agreed that women need to do this, and they used the words "need" because of my little cracker jack talk on the benefits of nursing to mother, baby, and employer.  I even set one of them straight with regards to a sexual issue.... one of them (not the smartest of the bunch) made reference to using the pump on parts other than a breast (for those of you who have seen the first Austin Powers movie... you probably know what I mean without me getting graphic on the list), anyway he went on about how this would be a great use for a breast pump, and I told him that the only way it would serve him at all is if he was small and that perhaps that wasn't a topic he should be sharing on the radio.  I told him that in general a breast pump is not a joyful tool to use and making light of it isn't appropriate.   The others on the radio show agreed and I left the conversation with a very supportive tone, they were impressed.  Truthfully... I don't think they realized there was such a person as a lactation counselor... they kept asking me if I was a baby nurse! ;O)

Melisa
~*~*~*~*~
Did you hear? Breast is Best!
Certified Lactation Counselor
Student Midwife
Alternative Medicine Counselor in Training
Childbirth Educator
www.nurturingmama.com

Mom to Harry who changed my life,
Jacob who changed my spirit, and
Elleanor who changed my soul.

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2