Content-Type:
text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
MIME-Version:
Reply-To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
Hi everyone,
Maybe something of this nature has already been posted, but having been away for the weekend I am very far behind, once again, in my reading.

When talking of phone consults. I think we are forgetting one very important part of the formula (oops,). That is good ol' "networking". We are forgetting that even though we have gone that step further - becoming an IBCLC, we shouldn't forget where alot of us came from. La Leche League International. Whereas most of us are employed either as hospital based, clinic based or private based LC's we still have the option of explaining to our clients what our jurisdiction is. This is very individual, because I think as Winnie mentioned, after the first 10 minutes of a conversation, we can assess whether this potential client should come in for a visit or if it is a very lengthy topic i.e. nutrition and weaning, first foods . etc....those of us who are willing to go on and on, by all means, should have that option. Those of us who would like to steer away from that should perhaps refer them to their local LLL group and leader. This is one of the main objectives of LLL. To be able to volunteer our (in my LLL capacity) services either by way of phone or monthly meetings.

I always say that there is room in this world for us all. Therefore, there is no competition between us (LC's) or other BF organisations. Unfortunately there are enough Moms out there needing our assistance to enable all of us, LC's and LLL alike, to be very much needed and in demand. There are definitely things that can and should be referred to LLL as well as so many cases and queries which definitely do not come within the scope of the LLL leader.  

I can only speak for us here in Israel.  Most of us work together in perfect harmony.  Alot of our referrals to LLL will allow bf moms to get the answers they need via the phone and will get them to the often mentioned groups which are so important in their bf experience. On the other hand, whenever pain or nipple trauma is mentioned, we are now a few clinics to which our loyal LLL leaders refer moms to in order to get a full assessment and solution to their problem which IMHO cannot be assessed by phone. 

I believe we all have the resources. We should use them.

Ellen Shein, who can't even try to describe the climate here today.
in Israel

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2