Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 09:02:41 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
Coming out of lurkdom to make a comment. While not on LactNet from the beginning, I have been receiving it for a number of years now. As a lay bf counselor, sitting on the fence as to whether to become 'professional' or stay where I am, I still benefit greatly from the information here on LactNet.

What has always gotten me about breastfeeding is - the emotion - that can seem at times to 'explode' over the most innocent or taken in the wrong way comment. That is a personal issue - not the fault of breasts, breastfeeding or human milk - and certainly NOT the problem of the person making the comment.

We all come to LactNet from various situations, places in the world, cultures, ages, education level, even our 'work' with breastfeeding is vastly different, hence our views, approaches, needs and even our presentations are vastly different. As a group (LactNet) with a single purpose in common (breastfeeding), we need to privately [cringe, cheer, rant, cry, etc] when a post touches us with that emotional 'explosion.'  And then, and only then, perhaps write a well thought out, carefully worded comment. Certainly mistaking a comment and then posting a nasty reply, does not do any good to the intent of LactNet - and it clogs the digests with postings that have nothing to do with breastfeeding (such as this one)!

I am aware of the length of this post, and that it really has nothing to do with our main intent on LactNet - however, as I mentioned, I still do not understand why a certain word evokes such emotion that nastiness and that word becomes the issue - not breastfeeding. We are all allowed and have our own opinions and views of the world and of breastfeeding. Viva la difference - it is what makes this field interesting to me. 

I respect those who assist, such as I do, in a quiet, simple way and I respect those who have strong views of human milk and breastfeeding and go to great lengths to support breastfeeding. We can both work together to achieve the same goal. And to me, that is what LactNet is about, the goal of breastfeeding education, promotion, support and ultimately the success of breastfeeding/receiving human milk for all mother/baby dyads. 

And I disagree to a point, some of those emotionally 'explosive' issues do at times belong here on LactNet, as they can impact on breastfeeding issues and as much as we would not like it to be, mothering/parenting issues can and do become tangled in many ways. However, having said that, HOW we personally feel about such issues, does not belong being discussed on LactNet. 

And that is the issue - the original point being made had not much to do with those other issues - they were being used for making a point. It was others who took a single word/issue  and took what they viewed as a different opinion and felt the need to comment on that, when the discussion veered away from breastfeeding and into nastiness. Our replies need to be either carefully thought out or sent privately.

Since I am now stacking my soapbox higher and higher, I will climb down before I fall . . . please remember this is only MHO and definately not worth .02!

Leslie Ward
Fort Hood, TX

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2