Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Apr 2000 15:43:58 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
Gonneke and Heather,
     I agree with you that this idea of preventing pauses in the infant's breastfeed by using breast compression can easily become a routine recommendation.  As I see it, it smacks of Taylorism.  Taylorism is the approach to industrial and other tasks of the time-and-motion experts, in the hunt for more "efficiency", in the belief that there is one "correct" way of doing a task or activity.  Getting the baby fed, super-efficiently, ignores the fact that there are other needs concurrently being met by being at the breast.
    My other thought on this issue is - what is the mother going to do with the time she saves?  Is she doing to leap up and catch up with tasks (home or workplace), and lose some of the precious time out which breastfeeding beneficently imposes on her day?  With a shorter feeding time, is the time "saved" going to be replaced by: writing 0.5 - 1 business letter/ 5-10 minutes of budgetry calculations/ washing one sinkful of dishes/ cleaning the toilet?  All of these are worthwhile tasks which need to be done, but surely are not so urgent as to *compress* the time of a baby's feed, Taylorizing the process.
        Just having my 2 cents' worth!
                      Virginia
                       Virginia Thorley
                        on a l-o-n-g weekend in Brisbane 

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2