Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 09:04:49 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
Since Elisheva repeated my post I have the uncontrollable urge to improve it (known as the never-finished final draft syndrome).
I do say that sufficient milk with less than 6 feeds is exceptional.
I also say that there is no upper limit for normal number of feeds, that most babies will feed between 6 and 60 times a day, and that counting feeds is less helpful than watching the baby and seeing what is happening at the feeds.  This is not a 30 second commercial break, folks, it is an hour of dialogue with a group of mothers on postnatal ward, plus one to one counseling as needed.  So we have time to clarify what we are looking for in the baby as signs of satiety and thriving, what the warning signs of ineffective latch are, etc.
The numbers part comes in as an afterthought.  The main message is: feed the baby when the baby is showing signs of hunger, which we call self-regulation here.  This means the baby decides WHEN and HOW MUCH, mother decides WHAT.  Then I give the cautionary warning about checking the weight of those "good" babies who sleep and sleep and sleep, to ensure that they are truly getting enough.  Some of them are!  We strongly advise against weighing in the home, for two reasons.  One is that it doesn't have any beneficial effects in the healthy BF couple.  The other is that if the baby is arousing concern about adequate nutrition, mother should be seeking help at the well baby clinic and going in to weigh the baby also gives the health visitor a chance to be made aware of the situation.
Our child protection law actually gives health visitors an opportunity to force women to bring their babies to the well baby clinics for checks, which in cases of suspected neglect or abuse can be a life-saver.  It is almost never used, as uptake of services is close to 100%.  There is no charge to the family, no limit on number of visits, and services are generally well regarded.  The public clinics are used by the same people who use the public hospital system: EVERYONE!
Rachel Myr
waxing sentimental at the thought of what a blessing it is to have universal health care coverage for everyone, without regard to social status, residence, employment, or income.  Makes you feel a lot better about the tax level!

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2