Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 2000 21:58:30 +0100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (13 lines)
The official Norwegian policy is 5 ml daily of cod liver oil for everyone, absolutely everyone, from the age of 6 weeks, no upper limit.  This provides both A and D and omega-3 fatty acids all in one delicious spoonful.  I have sung its praises to Lactnet before, I maintain my stance.
Of course, the recommendation could have something to do with the fisheries lobby, I suppose.
We do make a special effort to inform darker-skinned immigrants and women from cultures without the Nordic compulsion to go outside, with babies, regardless of how perfectly awful the weather is, that they and their babies may be Vitamin D deficient if they do not supplement.  There have been a few cases of rickets in recent years here, among immigrant children.
My husband's grandmother was widowed at the age of 28 with a 4 y/o daughter.  She had to start taking cod liver oil overnight in order that her daughter, my MIL, should continue.  Until he died, it had been the man of the house's duty to take cod liver oil with the child.  Unless an adult took it with her, my MIL flatly refused.  Anyway, her mother started taking it and continued to do so daily until her own death more than 60 years later.  Stayed basically healthy the whole time too!  Her daughter, OTOH, stopped when she moved away from home, and has since been plagued with multiple serious health problems.  If that isn't incontrovertible proof of the benefits of cod liver oil, I don't know what would be :)
PS  My MIL's health problems could also be related to her premature birth-- weighed 3 lb 8 oz at birth, was estimated to be just over 30 weeks by the techniques available in 1924, and was successfully cared for from birth by her mother, including exclusive BF the first months of her life.
Rachel in Kristiansand

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2