>I also understand that thymol crystals, which are extremely small, can
>easily cause blindness.
>
>Ken Hoare

Ken,

A good word of warning.  Substances with comfortable names like Thymol,
Menthol and Camphor sound very  non-threatening.  However, if it was
suggested that 2-isopropylphenol or (1a,2b,5a)-5-Methyl-
2-(1-methylethyl)-cycohexanol or bicyclic terpene ketone  (the names for
thymol, one form of menthol and camphor as I understand it) should be
handled by beekeepers to treat varroa then caution would clearly be in
order!

These substances as well as the 'soft' acids are chemical products and
all need to be treated with appropriate respect.

regards,
--
Mike Rowbottom

HARROGATE