Peter asked: It seems to me that a thymol product is a good idea, and if it is already available, why would folks be trying to concoct stuff?

I think Bill answered that question when he pointed out that trying to affect the mite population on adult bees is different then feeding syrup to act as a preventative treatment. Furthermore the dose in syrup compared to Apiguard  is much much lower for those concerned about dosage and exposure to thymol. Peter I have never been one to promote off label treatments but this idea seems to have some scientific basis.