> >Yes it is not normal to have 11 frame hives in Feb for the almond growers

I was recently reading some pre varroa almond pollination studies, and the
average strength of hives in almonds was 9 frames.

I myself have been going to almonds for nearly 30 years, and would not
consider the above figure to be abnormal for healthy colonies on good fall
forage (rabbitbrush).  I've made 12 frame or better average (by third party
grading) for all those years, after generally culling or combining about a
quarter to a third of what went into fall.  Until two years ago, this was
without any supplemental feeding whatsoever--syrup or patties.

Randy Oliver