Tara,

This is a subject that is near and dear to my heart absent the NFP angle. The subject of portable extinguisher inspections has come up many times in my experience. And, it is one that is not well understood, nor given adequate attention. Your question will help improve the subject understanding. 

Absent NFP, all one needs to do is read, understand and comply with the extinguisher manufacturer's label that is mounted on the unit. Not having one in front of me at the moment I can be confident the label establishes the requirement to inspect monthly! And the inspector needs to initial and date, otherwise as usual with documentation, the event never took place. 

Also, when I bring the subject up many, way too many, make the statement that they pay their fire extinguisher  provider for that service. Not normally the case! The provider does a once a year inspection, punches the holes in the appropriate place etc. Yes, I'm sure they would be ($$$happy$$$) to conduct the monthly inspection, but at what cost? 

And there is the standard OSHA position that we comply with the manufacturer's instructions!

One of the best monthly inspection processes that I have witnessed took place at Morgal Machine Tool. Two people on the safety committee were assigned the responsibility to conduct/document the monthly inspection. Their meeting agenda noted a line item requirement for a report on the extinguisher's status. That line item served to (normally)  inspire those responsible to action. Thus, when the agenda item was addressed in the meeting, they reported the inspection results and the meeting minutes became one more piece of documentation!  Bingo!  It worked!

Finally, as you go about your daily travels and see an extinguisher take a look and let me know the results. The most consistent at this always seem to be the hospitals and most likely nursing homes etc. I believe they are inspected much more thoroughly in this regard. 

Also, we need to ask the fire marshall about this. I have noted them missing on this issue in a facility walk through etc. 

Hope this is helpful. I'm interested in other info that is out there with this regard. Thanks for stirring the pot!

Sincerely, 

Dick Higgins

Col. Richard E. "Dick" Higgins, USAF (Ret)
The Higgins Group, Inc.
300 E. Auburn Ave., Suite 29
Springfield, OH 45505-4703 
Ph: 937-325-7858   Fax: 937-325-0124
Cell: 937-605-2340

--- On Mon, 11/30/09, Tara Adkins <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Subject: [SCCSC-L] fire extinguisher inspection standard
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Monday, November 30, 2009, 2:40 PM

I am looking for the NFPA 10 code relating to the inspection standard for portable extinguishers including information related to the tag not being removed. If anyone is aware of a state code related to the same issue please pass that information on as well. I have spent a good deal of time online and anything I found relates back to the NFPA code.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

Tara Adkins
EHS Assistant
Yamada North America
9000 Columbus Cincinnati Rd
S. Charleston, OH 45368
(937)462-7111 ext. 161
[log in to unmask]
 This discussion list is provided by the Springfield/Clark County Safety Council 

***********************************************The SCCSC-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's HDMail High Deliverability Mailer for reliable, lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to: http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html 

This discussion list is provided by the Springfield/Clark County Safety Council

The SCCSC-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's HDMail
High Deliverability Mailer for reliable, lightning fast mail delivery.
For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html