Discussion of Bee Biology <BEE-L@ALBNYVM1>
Date:
Wed, 9 May 90 14:39:10 LCL
Jonathan Newman
Dept. Biological Sciences
University of Dundee
Millers Wynd
Dundee. DD1 4HN
U.K.
Telephone  (0382) 23181 Ext. 4282
E-Mail Address: [log in to unmask]

Re: BEE VENOM EFFECTS ON MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS

My father has had Multiple Sclerosis for thirty five years. During
twenty of these he kept bees, until he could no longer tend to them
properly. I am sure that he got stung at least once every time he
went out to the hives and it became a bit of a family joke for a time!

As to the effect of bee venom on the progression of MS, I have not
noticed any difference between the overall rate of decline during
the time when he was being regularly stung, and in more recent times
when there has not been any contact with bees.

I do remember that there was some interest in bee venom effects
on MS about ten years ago, but it dropped out of favour, or at least
out of public sight. I would be interested if any further work has
been done.

Yours,

   Jonathan.