From:
Elien Rouw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2023 09:49:44 +0200
Dear all,

Although mostly listening, I now want to chime in.
I can understand, where the Yale study comes from (although I didn't read it myself, only the content you provided to me). And: I have written something similar in 2014, together with Elizabeth Horman and Veronika Scherbaum - in Germany: the high cost of halfhearted breastfeeding promotion in Germany: https://internationalbreastfeedingjournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13006-014-0022-5
Of course the Yale study is centered in the USA, with miserably parental leave regulations and a very high pumping percentage - this will be different in other countries, notably in western Europe - Germany has excellent parental leave provisions (at least that - there is still much to be wished for).
This said: what we see is, that the costs of breastfeeding is burdened upon the mothers and the families, where as the profit of breastfeeding in the health system (see work Melissa Bartick and others) and the environment is gained by society.
Mothers pay for the pumps. Mothers pay for lactation consultants in most parts of the world, when breastfeeding support is needed. Mothers pay also for costs of not working - because at that moment they cannot contribute to their pensions (anyway this is in Germany the case). And they sometimes pay, because they cannot progress in their careers - because in many companies (countries???) in our capitalist world it is seen as not enough devoted to the employer, when you take care taking jobs. This also counts for mothers who feed their babies with bottles, but here the separation of mother and child, although often detrimental for both, is taken into account (and may be even the reason, that a family takes the choice to bottle feed).
I also recommend the (older) book: Beyond health, beyond choice - breastfeeding constraints and realities, edited by Paige Hall Smith, Bernice L. Hausman and the unforgettable Miriam Labbok (2012).
Until we address the structural societal obligations in the support of breastfeeding, I am afraid, that many, especially underprivileged women, will say "the cost of breastfeeding are too high".
Just my 2cts.
Kind regards,
Elien Rouw

Elien Rouw, MD, FABM