From:
Elizabeth Vogt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Apr 1998 18:20:34 -0700
I know these questions can probably be answered in 2 beekeeping books I
have on order. But, if anyone has a moment to comment, please do.  Thanks.

1) I keep reading about newly-drawn comb and cappings as being "white" or
"light colored".  Mine are bright yellow to brown.  Is this due to the
pollen (substitute) patties each hive has and/or the 1:1 sugar syrup
provided?

2) I've learned my lesson, re: the importance of evenly spacing frames (10)
when starting a new hive, i.e. using new wax foundation.  In 4 of my 5
hives, there is one terribly misshapen frame of drawn comb, some of it not
even attached to the frame, and bees walking between the drawn comb and the
sheet of foundation.  Fortunately, in all hives I have a good queen; I'm
seeing lots of of larvae, and some of the other behavioral indicators that
the hive is queenright.   My question is: do I remove the frames of
misshapen comb, make sure the queen is not on them, put in a new frame and
foundation, brush the bees back into the hive, and discard the bizarre
looking comb ?

Sincerely,

Elizabeth