From:
John Iannuzzi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 1998 08:28:37 -0500
Hi Andy and Alden,

I've read your posts about cleaning pollen, etc.
I think both of you err since you don't make the
distinction between the hobby collector (like me)
and the commerical one.

Incidentally I freeze mine AFTER it's dried to
prevent wax-worm egg hatch out--it is ALWAYS
present. The dried pollen is sold in one-pound
queenline jars.

I don't have any problems w/ mold, vermin, etc.
I've been doing it sinc 1982 (1982).  I will
bee the first to admit that my method is labor-intensive!

Again, "suum cuique."  That's what makes the world go around.

On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, Andy Nachbaur wrote:

> At 12:35 AM 2/9/98 -0500, you wrote:
>
> ><see you are in the Northeast.  With our relatively high humidity, do you
> >dry the pollen?
>
> >        Yes indeed, I have a vented solar drier that works very well. It
> >will hold three 1.5' x 2.5' screen bottom trays. It takes about 1 sunny
> >day to dry the pollen to pass the pinch test (if pollen pellets pinched
> >together do not adhere dry enough), real scientific huh? Pollen keeps for
> >months in tightly sealed jars without molding. Pellets are not so dry
> >that a hard pinch can't crumble them.
>
> Hi Alden & Bee Friends,
>
> Maybe I don't believe bee pollen is God's gift of food to man but I do know
> from personal commercial experience producing pollen and working with
> others who had commercial interests in marketing pollen a tad about how it
> can be done commercially so that the pollen is acceptable to the bulk
> pollen buyer and the consuming public.
>
> First let me say that IMHO most who dry pollen are not selling a natural
> product as even the bees would have a hard time when its that hard and much
> of the food value for bees would be destroyed in just a few hours of sun or
> heating.  I agree that if you live in an area of high moisture you must
> take steps to preserve and protect the pollen from moisture most do this in
> the construction of the trap itself, but at the same time cooked pollen is
> like cooked honey and may have much local value to a large number of local
> producers but certainly would not have much food value left after cooking
> off those magic ingredients that are already in such minute quantizes in
> natural fresh frozen pollen that so many seek in promoting pollen for human
> consumption as an natural organic food supplement in the major marketing
> streams.
>
> > I clean my pollen whereas most who freeze instead of dry do not. I defy
> anyone who does not dry >pollen to do a descent job of cleaning in any
> reasonable period of time. Of course
> >there are arguments for and against both freezing and drying. The few I
> know in this area who trap >freeze it.
>
> Again lets not paint everyone with the same brush, I have never had to dry
> pollen and I have never known a commercial pollen producer who dried pollen
> but I only know a few of those in the southwest, Arizona, Colorado, and
> California and none had a moisture problem. The two pollen cleaning
> machines I used left little for the sorters to hand pick out. I have no
> idea what would cause anyone to believe that those who produce pollen in
> the dry southwest or the desert areas would have any interest in drying
> pollen or be less likely to do a good job cleaning their pollen before sale
> then any other beekeeper trying to do a good job in preparing his pollen
> for market, this just has not been my own experience working with other
> pollen producers.
>
> I only write this so that maybe others will figure out that there is more
> [...]

**John Iannuzzi, Ph.D.
**38 years in apiculture
**12 hives of Italian honeybees
**At Historic Ellicott City, Maryland, 21042, U.S.A. (10 miles west of
   Baltimore, Maryland) [9772 Old Annapolis Rd - 410 730 5279]
**"Forsooth there is some good in things evil
   For bees extract sweetness from the weed" -- Bard of Avon
**Website: http://www.xmetric.com/honey
**Email: [log in to unmask] [1jan981031est]