From:
Kathy Kellison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 2010 18:08:16 -0400
>But some beekeepers are beginning to question the sustainability of such practices.

Yes, Brian, but the road from questioning to enabling improved practices
can not happen with this constant blaming you seem so keen on continuing.

Are beekeepers suppose to just commit financial suicide and refuse to move their bees to pollinate crops? Are the growers suppose to say, "o.k folks for the next few years we won't be producing our crop while we establish enough regional ag. pollinator forage to sustain enough bees... and who is going to pay their yearly income while this transitioning is in progress?  btw that would require more fruit and vegetables to be imported from outside the U.S. increasing the risk of new introduced pests you want to pay for the downstream damages that will ensue?

To achieve what you would like to see at least 3 essential issues would need
addressing and strategizing to forward:

1) the price of honey would need to appreciate, this means educating consumers
   to increase their demand and be willing to pay a fair market price
2) developing a mechanism to establish enough ag. pollinator habitat near
   bee pollinated dependent crops
3) identifying a revenue source to finance the cost of installing that habitat

None of above is in the control of beekeepers or growers but could be
supported by consumer awareness and cost share through the Farm Bill

I am all for change, beginning with changing who you are flogging.

Kathy Kellison