From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 13:03:13 -0600
On thing I did fail to mention at the time the talk of AFB resistance
started was the simple fact that we placed the patty on the centre of the
top bars of the upper brood chamber when we wrapped.  The bees were on the
bottom board and not in the top box at all.

The assumption was that the bees would not actually come into contact with
the drug until February or March when they would have eaten their way up
through the hive to the lid and need medicating.  Getting out to medicate
that early in the spring is difficult and disruptive and we are always
concerned about the possibility of breakdown if we don't, although actual
occurances have been infrequent.

From Feb/March on, the bees are only in contact with the patties until a
second patty is cleaned up in May or June.  We *may* repeat treatment in
the Fall, but did not last year, and found zero breakdown.

So, as far as I can see, our patty treatment regimen only exposes the bees
to oxytet for four or five months, and this is a much shorter time than
many use dusting.  Moreover, we have had such good control that we have
suspended using oxytet in syrup or dust, so total doses will be greatly
reduced.

Don't get me wrong: I am not agreeing that there is a greater likelihood
of resistance occuring when grease patties are used than other methods
are employed.  In fact I stongly doubt it and am not at all convinced by
arguments that try to suggest it, but -- FWIW -- I am using less oxytet
and over less time than ever before.

Allen

--
Buy, sell, trade, get a job, hire help, announce a
meeting, advertise a business or publication...