Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2011 05:07:14 GMT
>What if you are in an area with no prior history of foulbrood?
Should we stay away from swarms and just manage apiary as is to be safe?
If we do so, are we able to abstain from prophylactics?

I believe AFB spores are in the environment [in varying concentrations] everywhere.  They don't necessarily lead or need to lead to clinical AFB symptoms in the hive.  Keeping strong, hygienic colonies will prevent AFB manifestion.  As will brood comb overhaul.  I don't keep brood combs for more than 3-4 years. Waldemar