From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 2015 22:09:59 -0300
Hi everyone

I am finishing my new extracting plant and need to cope now with the
"pumping unit."

I have imported a couple of N9000 Oberdorfer pumps bodies
http://www.oberdorferpumps.com/pumps/gear-pumps/n9000/

Unfortunatelly the performance curve is for water and there is no reference
to speeds ideal for pumping honey.

I can't find that info in the net either.

As any gear pump, the N9000 behaviour is linear with speed: as more
rotating speed more volume is displaced and total power is controled by
Head (psi). At less than 20 PSI the pump gives from 1000 litres per hour
(lph) @ 400 rpm to 5200 lph @ 1725 rpm.

A 2hp motor should be enough for maximun power (if lifting water at 70°F
based on performance curve) at 20 psi working head .
We will probably move honey less than 5 metres with head difference of 2
metres maximun.
How does honey pumping reflects in pressure? I mean it have a higher
density and viscosity so it should be harder to move than water.

At which speed likes honey to be pumped? Probably the answer is: it depends
on honey temperature as it affects viscosity.
If that is the answer , would it be better to use a variable speed motor to
couple directly with the pump?

The plant is designed with two 80 frames horizontal spinner each droping
its honey gravitationally to its own 1000 litre inox tank dig from floor
level down.
I am hoping to pass 100 standard supers per working hour. Say 1500 litres
per hour of honey with that setup.

The extracting flow starts with a heating room so I'm betting for honey to
be above 30°C (and below 50°C).

That N9000 pump should output 1600 lph @ 600 rpm and 2200 @ 800 rpm
should I use just one speed, say 700 rpm if that suffice the desire
throughput of Honey?

Funtionally will one pump be recommended (either rotating from tank to tank
or with a T and elbows to suck from both tanks at same time) or should I
have one pump per honey tank? Should I have a spare pump for emergency?

Thanks for helping me think and decide, cheers

PS: i'll tried to attach a Picture showing extracting room setup but it
didn't went through.