From:
Barry Birkey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2001 23:33:49 -0500
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I looked up a quote to back up my theory on why Dr.R was successful in
> keeping his hives alive for four years and those only using the FGMO had
> poor results:
> pg 190 of *Mites of the Honey Bee*
> "Tobacco smoke increases mite fall and has been used for both detection and
> CONTROL" . Fogging every two weeks with the tobacco smoke throughout the
> year would drop varroa numbers possibly more than the FGMO.

Hi Bob -

While this is an interesting theory, it's lacking current information
regarding FGMO research. In a recent correspondence with Dr. R, he made a
comment about the use of tobacco smoke.

"Use of tobacco smoke for knocking down mites for testing was
discontinued to dismiss the argument that mites are being killed by tobacco
smoke and not by FGMO.  Mite testing is being done by means of bottom boards
lined with FGMO impregnated paper and by actual removal of bee larvae to
count varroa larvae."

Regards,
Barry