From:
James Kilty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 23:20:03 +0100
In message <[log in to unmask]>, T & M
Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]> writes
>If we assume that the colour indicates a different
>type of pollen, then most hives seemed to be going for the same type of
>pollen in the same proportions but some were different.  Why?
I wonder if it is just the chance factor. Scouts from different hives
may hit on different sources and are able to recruit other workers to go
to their finds. Professor Ratnieks and his students found a proportion
of bees went 11km (from memory) for the heather, much further than
expected, but not all. I presume it is the competition from other scouts
or dancing collectors is what determines the variation. A random or
pseudo random selection of pollens would presumably also give the
variety which adds up to a good balanced diet.
--
James Kilty