From:
Medhat Nasr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2011 10:37:31 -0700
Mitewipe is currently recommended to be used as 2 (40-50 ml) pads for a total of 80-100 ml/ application. One application every 10 days when beekeepers inspect hives. Efficacy was 80-90%.  No stress on bees or brood. Beekeepers can trust the weather man for one day or two during treatment. These is no extra trips. this system was tested in several locations and no loss of brood due to high formic acid evaporation rates reported in other methods. Once again formic, oxalic and essential oils require specific conditions to deliver expected efficacy.
Just I gave a presentation to our beekeepers titled " the ugly reality of acids and essential oils in mite control". This presentation made beekeepers think about reality and labels claims.. etc. Alternatives are. Very much effected by micro climates and many other variables.

  We hope that 65% formic acid will gain once again a temp registration till full registration after we lost CAPCO95-94 for selfish reasons. We should know by Mid March.
Medhat