From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Apr 2008 11:02:25 EDT
Peter

CCD colonies are not necessarily completely dead - remember,  we usually see
a queen and a small cluster of young bees.   Typically, in a given bee yard,
we see a few strong colonies, some  moderate colonies - both of which
visually
look to be ok.  Then  we see failing  CCD colonies - a queen, mostly  young
bees, an  excess of brood (at the time of year when queen's are  laying -
often
2-4 frames with some beew).  We also see some collapsed  colonies  (queen and
small retinue of very young bees - barely cover 1/2 of one   frame), and a
few
empty boxes.  Over a period of a few weeks, we  usually  see more failing and
collapsed colonies in a yard, with CCD  sometimes taking out  every colony,
but
more often, taking out 50-80%  of the colonies within a beeyard  or holding
yard.
In large  holding yards, we've seen it start at one end  and roll through to
the  other end like a wave.

This past fall/winter/spring, we've seen a higher  percentage of empty boxes
(even the queen is gone).  Remember  also, I don't necessarily think Nosema
and CCD are the same.  The  one case that I saw that looks like the classic
Nosema ceranae kills  reported by the Spanish had dead bees with lots of
Nosema  in
them.

Jerry

Finance.      (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolcmp00300000002850)