From:
Barry Birkey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 1998 11:33:45 +0100
Aaron Morris wrote:

> David Eyre wrote:
>
> > ... why is it always stated 'to make early splits' when later
> > splits work just as well?   Bearing in mind our later start I make
> > nucs in late July, and they still make it through the winter!
>
> Simple - early splits will produce a crop.  If the goal is only to
> overwinter, then I agree, later splits are better - in fact preferable
> for an "ideal" overwintering population.  However in these parts, a tax
> day split (April 15) will bring in a crop of honey AND overwinter.
>
> Aaron Morris - I think, therefore I bee!

I think this is a matter of perspective.  No matter if you split in spring
or fall, both splits will produce a crop within a year.  Since Dave
suggested fall as a time for splits and requeening some time ago, I have
started doing this and find it to be a more favorable time of year to do
it, especially requeening.  I will still make splits though as needed for
swarm control in early summer.

-Barry

--
Barry Birkey