From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 11:05:40 -0400
Bob Harrison said "I had a guy the other day stop by my office. He said he
had a swarm of bumble bees in his field where he wanted to run fence and
wanted me to come right away. What do you say to these people?"

Because I am in our Yellow Pages under "Beekeeping Supplies", this time of
year I get 2-3 phone calls a day similar to what Bob is describing.  I know
the other listing gets a similar number as do those beekeepers who are well
known.

I tell them:
1. If they can, wait until a hard frost when the bees/wasps will be killed.
(About October 15 here, but this may not be a practical alternative in parts
of Kansas.)
2. Call names listed under Pest Control.  Around here some companies will
respond, but the cost runs $70-$120 for a minimum amount of effort.
3. Buy a can of spray and do the job yourself.  I always give some detailed
instruction with this alternative, such as:  only spray after dark and with
a flashlight; get the spray into the hole; etc.

I am advised that since I don't have an application license it is
technically illegal for me to be doing #3.  However, my thinking is that if
we can't help out our neighbors then why are we here?

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner, Ross Rounds, Inc.  The finest in comb honey production.
www.rossrounds.com