From:
Christina Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 2015 14:25:41 +0000
Thanks to those who have responded so far, on and off-list.

I agree wholeheartedly that the issue of neonics is so polarizing that it is difficult to be an "expert" in a room full of folks with firm opinions.  Take global warming for instance.  Yikes.

But in this case, since I care about bees, I think it is best to brave the patchouli and try to instill a more moderate view.  Thanks Pete and Jim for pointing out the alternate movie "More than Honey".  I'll watch it, and probably then suggest it to the organizers of this upcoming screening.

Just as there are very firm convictions out there that neonics are the cause of all bee problems and chem companies have an evil agenda, there are just as firm convictions (including several on this list) that neonics are not a problem at all when used appropriately, that there is no science to say they are harmful, and that we should stop wasting time and start looking elsewhere, beginning with nutrition and our own beekeeping practices.  (Reminds me of tobacco days....it's not tobacco, it's your other bad habits that made you sick....)

I suspect the truth is somewhere in the middle.  (I once met a 92 year old woman who had been chain-smoking since she was 12....she might be our "canola crop" parallel to neonic use).  I continue to welcome any personal experiences with how your bees perform on- vs off- neonic treated crops.  No story is too mundane.

 It is obvious to all of us that those professional beekeepers who are not very good beekeepers, but got away with bad practices in the past, are now making their money by helping other beekeepers or by suing the government.   The rest have stories to tell, and I'm hoping to listen.  On or off list.

Thanks,

Christina