From:
malcolm roe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 1993 14:28:51 BST
> New Zealand is free of European foulbrood disease (and Varroa and acarine
> and Tropilaelaps and Africanised bees...).  There is a proposal to allow
> honey imports from Australia subject to a heat treatment regime that is
> intended to reduce the risk of importation of EFB to a 'manageable' level.
>
> The beekeepers here are, understandably, not overly enthusiastic about the
> whole thing!  Most of you may think EFB not such a big thing, but in NZ (1)
> we haven't ever *had* EFB and are concerned especially with the first few
> years until our bees develop some resistance and (2) we just don't want
> those greebies we don't have!

I can sympathise with you.  Presumably there are political considerations
(trade liberalisation?) but don't let them do it.  It's the thin end of the
wedge.  If we'd had a more restrictive policy in this country (UK) perhaps
we wouldn't be facing varroa now.

First, some observations from my locality.  We have a honey packing business
about 40mls away.  (Fortunately for me it's no nearer.)  Much of the honey
is imported.  There are frequent outbreaks of EFB nearby.  Local beekeepers
claim that bulk containers, empty but uncleaned, are often left ouside.  Not
suprisingly they are robbed of the remaining honey.  It is thought that this
is the source of EFB although it is difficult to prove.  Recently there have
been two outbreaks of AFB about 10 mls from my apiary.  These were traced
(probably) to a local vinyard putting out wasp traps baited with cheap
imported honey.

Perhaps heat treatment would help but where would it be done?  If in
Australia, could you be confident that some untreated honey didn't slip
through?  If in NZ, the case of the empty containers, above, would not
be covered.

> ... Any anecdotal evidence of bees being exposed to
> different strains [of AFB] and the results?  Remember that NZ has had
> effectively no importations of honey, bees or bee products for about 40
> years now, so I'm expecting our bees to have developed somewhat differently
> with no pressures to show various resistances.

You may not have been importing bees or bee products for 40 years but you
have certainly been _exporting_ NZ queens all over the world.  I have no
direct experience but I am not aware of particular sensitivity to AFB in
imported NZ bees.  Perhaps other non-NZ beekeepers reading this list could
give you their experience.  There may be some research on it as well.

--
Malcolm Roe                            Phone  :  +44 442 230000 ext 4104
Crosfield Electronics Ltd              Fax    :  +44 442 232301