From:
Dave Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 1995 17:20:16 -0500
> > To start our next discussion, I have the following survey question:
> >
> > How many of  you:
> >
> > a) use one size of box (e.g.; deeps or mediums) for both brood boxes and
> > supers.
> >
> > b) use one size box (deeps) for brood boxes and a smaller size (mediums
> > and/or shallows) for supers?
> >
> > Personally, I use all mediums, with three mediums making up the brood area.
> >  The result is all boxes are completely interchangeable, and are of
> > manageable weight.  I also always have some drawn comb of the right size.
> >  The downside is that where the deep users have 20 brood area frames, I have

Hey,

I mix deep and medium supers.  Deep for brood boxes and medium for
the honey supers.  Several years ago, as a new hobby beekeeper, I
contemplated buying all medium (Illinois) boxes for both the brood
nest and honey production.

Here's what ended my decision: medium supers are too small to allow
 their use as 'shells' around feeding buckets inverted over the inner
 cover.  I bought both, but still really  like the idea of one size box,
given its simplicity and interchangibility.

Of course, I keep half a dozen hives in my back yard.  Bad back and
all.

Dave Johnson
Suffolk,  VA  USA