From:
Blane White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 May 1998 13:55:42 -0500
Hi All,
I feel that Jim Bach's good comments should be followed with an observation from here in Minnesota on this issue.
Here in MN liquid extracted honey and comb honey are considered to be raw agricultural products covered by a provision in our food inspection law that allows sale of raw agricultural products from the farm without any requiremnets.  If sales of honey take place off the farm ( beekeepers home) the honey must be properly labeled but for liquid honey and comb honey that is the only requirements.  For processed products like creamed honey the processing must be done in a licensed food processing facility such as a bakery.  The beekeeper does not need to own the facility the requirement is that the processing in done in such a facility.  Also in MN most of the food inspection is done by the Dept of Agriculture not the Health Department.  You should contact your Department of Agriculture to see if they in fact are the ones that license and inspect such facilities.

FWIW
blane

Blane White
Minnesota Department of Agriculture