From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Sep 2012 17:41:23 +0100
> Could you please elaborate on the type of hive configuration that you are
> referring to?  Is there typically a honey band above the brood, but below
> the thymol?

Hi Randy - sorry for the delay in replying, up to our ears in work after
moving house!

Fully open mesh floor on 2.5" square supports (always open as there is no
insert), single brood box, queen excluder, 2.5" deep eke (or spacer if you
like), crown board.  Thymol put in the lid on the excluder directly above
the brood.

Bees are mostly near native A.m.m. so honey above brood but not much
pollen - they tend to store that in amongst the brood.

Picture of floor here:
http://www.stratfordbeekeepers.org.uk/Newsletters/September2005.htm
note the narrow entrance (7mm or just over 1/4") that keeps out mice.

Picture of eke here:
http://www.stratfordbeekeepers.org.uk/PENotes/Fondant.htm

Best wishes

Peter