From:
Joel Govostes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 1996 09:33:18 -0500
What's the big deal about getting the strips in now??  Sorry, but I just
don't get it.  Get your fall flow and super well so they won't swarm.  If
they do, it's likely the parent colonies won't be in very good shape going
into winter.  And neither will the swarms, of course.

The ideal time to treat, as I understand it, is when there is little or no
brood; then all the mites are gravitating to adult bees, instead of being
hidden in capped brood cells.  SO, that means October, maybe into November
around here, while the bees are still somewhat active.  There is a window
of opportunity there. This is well after the majority of the fall flow.
According to Roger Morse the lowest part of the brood cycle is around
November.

It does appear to be a dilemna - treating and losing the crop/letting them
keep it on for the winter and accepting unwanted fall swarming (fairly
common), VS. taking full advantage of fall sources and not getting to treat
nice and early.

BTW  I should clarify that up here in the NE the fall crop (goldenrod &
asters) is quite a substantial portion (sometimes the majority) of the
entire harvest for the year.

Enlighten me by all means - I'd like to get the scoop on this whole thing
Thanks,   JWG