From:
Tom Jillette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 1997 09:03:59 -0600
Greetings to everyone.
I'm interested in running a few colonies this coming season with two queens
and would like to hear any comments from those who have tried this method.
It sounds to me like a reasonable way to split an overwintered colony and
build the two halves up together, working on the same honey supers as one
big hive and then separating them later to put away for winter. (The Hive
and Honey Bee suggests combining them again with the younger queen for
winter, which I can see would give a very strong colony with young queen for
overwintering).  I can see with this method, there would be more work
involved in hive checks and honey removal as well.

Any tips, comments or experiences with this method?

Thanks in advance.

Tom
(...going into my third year beekeeping)