From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 2003 22:20:07 -0600
Hello Mike & All,

I can not say what is best for you and your area but can tell you what we
do.

>Early to you is impossible for me.

We make splits any time the temp is over 55 F. and no wind  when pressed for
time.

 >There isn't much time here between first dependable pollen, and dandelion
bloom.

If you are giving the bees a frame of pollen why wait for the spring pollen
flow for the spring teardown or do you only remove brood to keep the bees
from swarming?

>That 4 week window...less that in Missouri?... is probably the worst bee
weather we have each year.

We work bees in rain but not a downpour. Cold wind is of bigger concern.

>And they do need the brood rearing space. The super is probably half full
of winter stores at this time.

We try to feed only enough so the bees have only got a couple frames of
honey left at the spring rework so hefting hives is easier.
At times we bring frames of honey to add .

>The brood nest expands downward onto the empty combs in the bottom box.

Again I see this as a sign you are waiting to late to use our method. When
the bees  start down I would reverse if I was not using our method and take
the split from the top box. Think upward movement!

>By the time dandelion blooms, many colonies have a cluster that extends
from the top super to the bottom board. There is usually a little brood in
the super, 6 or 7 combs of brood in the top hive body, and 4 or 5 combs of
brood in the bottom hive body.

You (in my opinion) are waiting to late for your spring bee work if you are
dealing with so much brood. Finding queens and spliting would be easier and
simpler if you did your spring teardown earlier.
You want to start when the queen is only on a couple frames of eggs/larva so
she is easy to find. earlier she will be anyplace in the hive and later you
will have to search the ten to twelve frames of brood you talk about above
as she might be trying to lay eggs in cells which have emerged.

>til dandelion. The space is filled with bees when I pack them away in fall,
and again by dandelion. Swarming is kept in check until late dandelion. By
then I've been able to get into the brood nests with only a little cell
building.

I am guessing you only pull brood for splits and not do a complete hive
rebuild like we do. Many use your method but also fight swarming because of
the amount of bees which have emerged because of doing your spring teardown
late *in my opinion*

You might not like what I have said but you sent a post with a Missouri
question mark so giving my opinion.

 We also do hive teardowns after pollination (Almonds, Apples etc.) at times
to keep bees from the trees. We had hives on 12 frames of brood after
pollination last spring when hives in Missouri were on 3-4 frames of brood.
Our system changes  with  circumstances.

If we did not work bees in the rain we would not get our work done. Only
hobby beekeepers have the luxury of waiting for a perfect 70F. day. I use
the bug baffler sold by mid con which can be dried out with a hair dryer( or
hand dryer at a truck stop) and change to dry clothes at lunch time (or at
the apiary site).

I live on a small farm and chores go on regardless of the weather so bee
work gets done when the weather will not hurt the bees *in our opinion* even
if uncomfortable for ourselves . Livestock needs fed , bales set and fresh
country eggs need gathered. Eat your heart out city folks!

Bob