From:
Brian Ames <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 2009 15:23:54 -0400
On Thu, 9 Apr 2009 11:06:35 -0700, Paul Cherubini <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Would the precautionary principle camp of beekeeper's
>who want Imidacloprid taken off the market also like to
>see miticide purchasing laws changed so that State agencies
>could track beekeeper's purchases of horticultural Mavrik
>and agricultural coumaphos?

Its already been happening around this region for years. Beekeepers have received calls
or letters from State Dept of Ag inquiring about their recent purchase of either material in
case lots, this includes Amitraz. The beekeepers who lied also received an additional
hefty fine for interfering with an investigation. The reach of these kinds of investigations
is beyond state lines, meaning if a beek purchases out of state to try and hide their trail
the Ag Dept has found out anyhow in a few instances.

Commenting also on Bobs post about the supply houses, I think its sad that the supply
houses still sell this junk. I have personally written to Dadant and Mann Lake to no effect,
I encourage others to do the same and request they remove these poisons from their
product offerings.  This affects anyone who purchases foundation also which the supply
houses sell after selling the poison which contaminates the wax. How ironic is this?

BTW where is ABF on this issue? Similar to the bee supply houses this whole group is part
of the PROBLEM rather then part of the SOLUTION.  Why does not ABF put similar
resources into delisting Apistan and Checkmite and educating their members and the
beekeeping industry in general as they do fighting Bayer?

From the outside of our industry looking in this is a very sad and pathetic situation.

If CCD research has shown anything its that some beekeepers have turned into ignorant
self contaminators who blame external sources of pesticides for their ills.